Monday, February 15, 2016

Happy Christmas

 25th December
A delightful cake brought to Nancy by ex students

Christmas was always going to be different in Bhutan. I had hoped that I might be able to get either Christmas lunch or dinner with roast chicken, roast potatoes and Christmas pudding. The prospect of booking to eat buffet food at $50 per head at one of the more expensive hotels was not really cutting it for me, so I decided to wait and see what might eventuate.   
Christmas eve dinner at Nancy's







A wonderful invitation to Christmas Eve dinner at Nancy's house provided the company of new and old friends and ROAST CHICKEN along with many other delicacies. Nancy's royal gift of a Christmas turkey had arrived a bit late to cook for that evening, but after I had officiated with a carving knife, the chicken was much enjoyed.

Christmas Day started with a mid morning grouping for coffee at the Ambient Cafe and we went our own ways for a while. I had a little shopping to do: a SIM card door the data stick given me by Cat. I was intrigued by the need to provide a passport to purchase a SIM card, but anyway.....

Christmas morning at the Ambient with 
Mike's parents, Scott, Reece and Nancy


Cafe Latte and cake for Christmas morning















I had Christmas lunch alone at Cloud9, a burger that tasted delicious for the first half, but I don't really like burgers... but the coffee was  great and I really enjoyed time at leisure to enjoy the novel I had started (thank you Kylie for your farewell gift of my library of eBooks)

Christmas lunch at Cloud9, burger, latte and a good ebook
I had decided that watching the full moon rise from BuddhaPoint would be a great thing to do and Scott joined me for this excursion. We left the town around 3:30pm to make the hour and a half (or so) hike uphill to Buddha. The view from there is wonderful and the enormous statue of Buddha is very special. It was freezing while we waited for moonrise but the top of me was at least snugly warm in merino, fleece and down on top of my normal clothing, and I did not regret one cent of the cost of my fur lined leather gloves.


Buddha at dusk
One of the many statues that surround Buddha
The first hint of moonrise




















Moonrise was, of course, later than scheduled (I could trivially blame BST - Bhutan stretchable time) as the hills obscured our view of it. When the moon finally rose above the hills it was rather spectacular and sitting in the sky behind the statues which surround Buddha, it made a picturesque scene which was not easily captured on camera.

While we were admiring this scene, Scott received a phone call from Ian and Vicky re joining them for Christmas dinner later. I had briefly met Ian a few days earlier and it is characteristic of the generosity and hospitality which infuses this country that I was invited to also join them. 


Christmas cake and other sweet delights at Ian and Vicky's

A ride down with a couple (he'd been showing his neighbour his new car ... In the dark at one of Thimphu's favourite dating spots...) kindly took us all the way to our destination and Vicky's delicious vegetarian dishes and CHRISTMAS CAKE! To say nothing of their excellent company.

Christmas Day was duly toasted with some good wine and by the time I returned to my hotel, I was thoroughly tired but satisfied with my day.



2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I'm a teacher in the UK and I am hoping to teach in Bhutan. I have lots of questions about living and teaching in Bhutan. If you wouldn't mind answering soe of them, please email me on ceilidh.2012@gmail. com. Thank you.
    Ceilidh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ceilidh,
      Have you read all the information on the Bhutan Canada Foundation website? https://bhutancanada.org/ There is an enormous amount there that I found very helpful when I was thinking of and preparing to travel. Happy to answer specific questions that you may have. Best wishes
      Lynne

      Delete